Monday, November 28, 2011

Prague > France

So long ago in September my friend from high school, Alexi, posted as her status on facebook: "Prague booked for thanksgiving." Prague was the one trip I wanted to do so bad when I came to Europe and I was worried at the beginning of the year when no one in my program seem to want to go so when I saw this post I jumped at the chance to join in on her travel plans! However, France seemed to have different plans for my thanksgiving. I had to take a train to Lyon (about 2 hours away) for my flight and in my plans I was going to arrive 4 hours early plenty of time. However, my train had to connect and the first train was late so I missed the connection.The conductor assured me that the next train would get me there in time for my flight but then that train was late and I arrived at the airport just half an hour before my flight. Thinking I could still make I ran through the airport and got to my gate to find out that my flight had left 10 min early! So moral of the story I spent my thanksgiving alone at the Lyon airport miserable until I finally got to Prague the next morning!

I got to Prague and immediately went on a walking tour of all the main attractions in Prague. We went to the astronomical clock which is the oldest astronomical clock in the world. We also saw some churches and walked through the Jewish Quarter in which I learned many fun fact such as:
 1) Hitler loved Prague so much that he planned to retire there after he conquered the world.
 2) There is a Hugo Boss store in the Jewish Quarter which is ironic because Hugo Boss was very anti-Semitic and made all the uniforms for the Nazis.
 3) There are so many synagogues preserved in Prague because Hitler wanted to set up a museum of an extinct race after he exterminated all of the Jews.
 4) Prague was very cheap 100 Czech Crowns is about 4 euros however it is not very cheap for Czech people where the minimum wage is 50 Czech Crowns.
Astronomical Clock

Prague National Museum and Christmas Market

Oldest Synagogue

Beautiful Prague Night with Megan and Kristen. It was a coincidence because Megan and Kristen are on Alexi's program in Rome with her but also go to Villanova!
After the tour we stumbled upon the Prague Chocolate Museum. We got free samples of Pralines and saw the whole process of how they make the chocolate it was a very delicious experience. Then for dinner we had a delicious meal (the first of many in Prague) I was able to try goulash, foie gras, deer, pheasant, duck it was the most food cultural experience of my life and for so much cheaper than those dishes would have cost in America or Western Europe. After dinner we went to the biggest club in Eastern Europe. It had 5 floors of dancing including Radio hits, hip hop, oldies, and electronica. It is probably the coolest club I have ever been to in my life.
Alexi and I at the Chocolate Museum

Chocolate!!

Kristen and I enjoying 1 of many Pilsners

Duck!

Awesome Night Club

The next morning we slept in which was awesome because I was so tired from my flight debacle and then walking around all day and night and then we made our way to a delicious lunch/breakfast with beer of course and then the Charles Bridge. I think the Charles Bridge was by far my favorite attraction in Prague. It is a beautiful bridge across the Vltava River. There were gorgeous statues all across and the view of the river was impeccable. At night it was even more amazing because there were Christmas Carolers on the bridge which just made me that more excited for Christmas time! Across the Charles Bridge we visited one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen: The Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, Lesser Town. Then we went up to the Prague Castle and saw where the Czech President lives, the Church of St. Vitus which was also beautiful and we got these awesome Czech pastries (Trdelniks) they are these cylindrical sugar pastries and we got ours filled with chocolate they were so good!! Another fun fact: at a conference in Chile, the Czech President stole a gold pen and since then people have been mailing him pens asking if he had enough pens!
Beer before noon, typical Prague

Charles Bridgeeeeeeeeee

Amazing View of the Prague Castle

Church of Saint Nicholas

Entrance to the Castle

Kristen and I with our Trdelniks

Wj '09 hits Prague: Alexi and I on the Charles Bridge!! 
After the Prague Castle we walked around looking for souvenirs so get excited because you may have gotten one! Then we walked through the Prague Christmas market which was gorgeous. There was mulled wine and traditional Czech pastries and sausages everywhere along with Christmas ornaments and a big tree! They have started setting up Montpellier's Christmas market which opens on Friday and I'm so pumped to explore that as well! That night we went out for another amazing dinner this time I tried deer, it was also amazing! I can safely say that Prague was one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen and I really want to go back again sometime but at least I got to see the main attractions and I'm so glad I was able to make the trip even with my travel problems it was definitely worth it!
Fried Cheese and fries apparently a Czech specialty

Roastbeef, cranberries and dumplings!

Christmas Market

Our awesome hostel that was jungle themed complete with ivy and a swing!
Time is Flying...What's Next
I have less than 3 weeks left in Montpellier and I had my first final exam tonight how crazy is that! The next 3 weeks will be spent shopping, exploring Montpellier, this beautiful city I live in, and studying for more finals and a presentation with a day trip to Avignon and maybe Grenoble mixed in!

No comments:

Post a Comment